This recipe comes from my daughter, Rachel, who is an excellent cook! She made the tortillas from scratch as well as developed her own recipe for the filling. Totally delicious! You can also substitute any white fish for the halibut or even shrimp would be delicious with the sweet mango. Of course you can buy pre-made tortillas, but if you have some free time the homemade ones are really soft and fresh, nothing like store-bought tortillas.
Halibut and Mango Tacos
Delicious light fish tacos and homemade tortillas
Flour tortillas (this makes around 12 small tortillas)
- 2 cups white flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons light oil of your choice (Rachel used safflower oil)
1/2 lb halibut
1 mango, diced
1/2 avocado, diced
2 tbsp. green onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons white miso
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 tablespoon brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste
shredded cabbage as a topping
- Chopped jalapeños or serrano peppers if desired as a garnish.
- Mix the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda with a whisk in a large bowl.
- Add the oil and mix well.
- Add the warm water and mix well. Roll dough into a log and divide into 12 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into a pretty thin circle. They puff up some when you cook them.
- Heat pan on high heat so you can cook the tortilla quickly. She likes to use a non-stick pan so no oil is needed. When the pan is very hot, place tortilla in the pan and cook for 20 seconds or so, until it puffs and browns lightly, turn and cook the second side 10 or 20 seconds. Place on a dish and repeat for next tortilla. Set cooked tortillas aside and keep warm.
Taco filling Instructions:
- Cut the mango, halibut, and avocado into small cubes. Set aside the avocado.
- Toss the halibut and mango with the onions through the salt and pepper in a bowl, and mix thoroughly.
- Heat a large pan on medium high heat, add a little oil, and then sauté until the fish is cooked.
- Remove from heat and add the avocado. Mix well.
- Place the halibut mixture into prepared tortillas and garnish with the cabbage and spicy peppers if using. Enjoy!
https://healthyseasonalcooking.wordpress.com March 18, 2018