Wow, this was really good. I ate it for dinner on Sunday and have enjoyed the leftovers for the last two days for lunch. I feel like we have been eating more meat than I prefer to eat so I was looking for a vegetarian dish (ok, it has bacon, so almost vegetarian is what I ended up with). I found this on Cookinglight.com and my son and I really liked it! Ok, he liked it as long as I added extra cheese and bacon to his… but hey, he is a growing teen! I love how the soup has a very rich and silky mouthfeel, with only a small amount of added half and half (I am considering leaving the half and half out next time and adding greek yogurt instead?). I give all the credit to Cooking Light, I cooked it pretty much as written. Enjoy!
Loaded Baked Potato-Style Cauliflower Soup
Rich, creamy and still very healthy cauliflower soup with a bit of crispy bacon and cheddar cheese to make it seem decadent
- 4 thick applewood bacon slices
- 1 leek, white part only, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- olive oil
- 1 medium-sized cauliflower, florets and stems chopped
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock (or broth)
- 1 teaspoon (or to taste) kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup half and half
- About 1/4 cup grated extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place bacon strips on baking sheet and cook until crispy, about 15 minutes. Drain grease thoroughly on paper towels. When cool chop into small crumbles. Set aside.
- Heat a large soup pot or dutch oven on Medium heat. Add a little olive oil to the pot and heat. Add Leek, celery and garlic to the pot and stir often until tender, about 5 minutes. Add cauliflower, stock, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Cover ad reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until cauliflower is very tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the majority of the vegetables and liquid to a blender and blend with half and half and blend until smooth. Be careful not to burn your self on the hot liquid while blending (put a towel over the blender lid).
- Return the blended mixture to the pot. Cook over medium heat for about 5 more minutes.
- Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with cheese, bacon and chives. Enjoy!
https://healthyseasonalcooking.wordpress.com October 23, 2018