I don’t post many side dishes but I thought this one was interesting. I made salmon yesterday and was trying to come up with a different side that my whole family would eat and that was healthy. My teenage son will eat salad, but he always complains and I often serve salmon with a salad and rice, so I combined my vegetables with farro, a healthy whole grain. The result was pretty good. I think tomorrow I will eat the farro vegetable mix by itself with some added spinach and melted cheese for lunch!
Farro with Roasted Mushrooms, Corn and Cauliflower
Healthy and Delicious Autumn Side Dish
- 1 cup pearled farro
- 3 cups water
- About 2 cups of thinly sliced mixed mushrooms (today I used 8 shiitakes and 4 big white button mushrooms)
- 1 small shallot thinly sliced
- 2 ears of corn, cooked and sliced off the cob
- 1 cup cauliflower, cut into small pieces
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- While oven is heating boil water in a medium pot. Add salt if desired.
- When water boils add farro and boil for 20 minutes, or until farro is soft, but firm in the middle, al dente (like pasta).
- While farro cooks, spread mushrooms and shallots on a large baking pan. Drizzle olive oil and toss the vegetables. Add salt, pepper, oregano and thyme to the vegetables. Roast for 15 minutes, stirring once.
- Add the cauliflower with a little more olive oil and salt and pepper. Roast another 15 minutes or until vegetable are soft and slightly browned.
- Drain farro.
- In a large bowl combine farro with all the cooked vegetables. Add salt and pepper if desired. Enjoy!
https://healthyseasonalcooking.wordpress.com October 17, 2018