I have made this a couple of times and it has been really simple, tasty and well-liked in my family. I tweaked it a little, but all credit goes to Katie Webster and Healthy Seasonal Recipes. This is a great weekday recipe and would taste great with a variety of vegetables. Today I used broccoli, bell peppers and mushrooms. A major ingredient I left out from the original is Chinese five spice, I tried it the first time I made it and it was not really a taste I loved. We all ate it but liked it more without it.
Vegetable and Beef Stir-Fry
Quick and delicious weeknight stir-fry
- 1 pound grass-fed beef (flat-iron, sirloin, tenderloin) cut into thin bite-sized strips
- coarse kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- safflower or other light oil
- 2 bell peppers, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 broccoli crown, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 4 large mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (I served this on the side for those who wanted it)
- Sprinkle the cut beef with a little salt and a few generous turns of the pepper mill and stir to evenly distribute.
- Whisk together the soy sauce, vinegar and corn starch in a small bowl.
- Heat a large skillet or wok over high heat with a little oil. Add the beef in a single layer and allow it to sear until browned on one side, 90 seconds to 2 minutes. Turn the beef and sear another minute on that side. Transfer the beef and any juices to a bowl and cover to keep warm.
- Add a little more oil if needed. Add the garlic and ginger and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add mushrooms and peppers and stir-fry for a few minutes, or until they start to soften. Add the broccoli and stir-fry for about 1-2 minutes more, until it is crisp-tender.
- Add the reserved cooked beef and the juices.
- Give the corn starch slurry a quick whisk and add to the pan while stirring. Cook until the sauce thickens and coats the beef and vegetables, just a minute or two.
- Serve immediately with rice. Enjoy!
https://healthyseasonalcooking.wordpress.com September 20, 2018