Hello Spring! Here in the SF Bay Area it finally feels like spring. The weather has been wacky, felt more like fall than spring recently, but the last two days have been beautiful and warm (ok, less warm today…but I made this yesterday) so I decided to make a salad with fresh bing cherries, tomatoes, avocados and pistachios. It turned out to be a really nice and substantial salad for dinner.
Spring Cherry Pistachio Salad
Healthy spring/summer salad.
- 1 thick slice of bacon (I used applewood smoked bacon)
- ½ cup unsalted pistachios
- 1 cup pitted cherries, quartered
- 1 avocado, diced and soaked in lime juice
- 12 ounces Mixed Baby lettuce or Romaine lettuce, torn in bite-sized pieces
- 3 white button mushrooms, sliced thinly
- ½ cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved or quartered depending on size
- ¼ cup feta cheese, small crumbles
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon light miso
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Mix all the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl with a whisk. Set aside.
- Cook the bacon slice in the oven at 375 degrees F for 15 minutes or until desired crispiness is achieved. Remove from oven, pat off as much grease as you can and mince.
- While bacon cooks, lightly toast pistachios in the same oven. Approximately 5-8 minutes, careful not to burn them. Set aside to cool.
- Wash and pit the cherries. Slice them in quarters.
- Slice the mushrooms thinly
- Halve or quarter the tomatoes.
- Chop the feta.
- Chop the pistachios.
- Fill the large salad bowl with lettuce, then add mushrooms, tomatoes, avocados, cherries, feta, and pistachios. Serve the dressing on the side.
May 10, 2017