I took a little blogging-break, but hopefully I am back for the next month or so. June blog entries will probably be very light if at all. But hey, who wants to cook in the summer anyway! This a a very simple and easy dish to slowly get myself back in the swing of writing again. This is a Food & Wine recipe that I added asparagus and mushrooms to. A very flavorful and nice quick weeknight dinner.
Sizzled Shrimp and Asparagus Provençal
Healthy and flavorful dinner that combines garlic, lemon and olive oil with shrimp, asparagus and mushrooms to make a quick dish for a busy weeknight.
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms (or white button), cut into thick slices
- 1 pound asparagus, ends broken off and sliced into one-inch pieces
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined (save time and buy it deveined, it is worth it!)
- 2 tablespoon small capers, drained
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- In a very large skillet heat some olive oil until it shimmers. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add the mushrooms and sauté for a few minutes. Add the asparagus and the shrimp and cook over high heat until the shrimp are lightly browned and barely opaque, about 2 minutes.
- Add the capers and cook for 30 seconds. Turn the shrimp and add the lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of the chopped parsley. Cover and cook over low heat for 4-5 minutes, until the shrimp are cooked through and the sauce is slightly reduced. Transfer the shrimp mixture to a dish and spoon the sauce on top. Add a sprinkle of the remaining 1 tablespoon of parsley and serve. Enjoy with some crusty whole wheat bread or rice.
May 8, 2017