Braised Chicken with Oven Roasted Vegetables
Extremely flavorful chicken and vegetable dish that can be fancy enough for company or simple enough for a weeknight meal
- safflower seed oil or other high smoke point oil
- 3-4 pieces of bone-in, skin-on chicken
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock or broth
- 1 cup of dry white wine
- few sprigs of fresh thyme
- handful of fresh sage leaves
- few sprigs of fresh oregano
- 2 Tablespoons of fresh rosemary, chopped
- 5 spring onions (or scallions if you can’t find spring onions), bulbs only sliced thinly, green parts left long
- 6 large carrots, 2 peeled and cut into thirds, and the others peeled and left whole
- 2 cups mixed color baby potatoes, scrubbed
- 1/2 head of cauliflower (or more if you are serving more people), washed and cut into large chunks
- 2 Tablespoons capers
- olive oil
- Heat a large dutch oven on the stove over medium high heat. Add a little oil to lightly coat the bottom of the pan and when sizzling add the chicken pieces and brown on all sides. Remove browned chicken from pan and set aside.
- Wipe off any extra oil in dutch oven and then place chicken back into it along with broth, wine, herbs, carrots that have been cut into thirds, sliced onion bulbs and capers. Bring to a boil and then turn down to simmer.Braise the chicken for 40 minutes or until fully cooked. Remove chicken and vegetables from the liquid.
- Reduce the liquid until about 1 cup or so. Set pot aside.
- While chicken is braising, heat oven to 500 degrees. Spray cooking spray on a baking sheet and place potatoes on the sheet. Sprinkle olive oil, salt, pepper, thyme and some rosemary on the potatoes and roast in the oven until partially cooked, about 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 400 degrees F and add cauliflower, whole carrots and sprinkle with more olive oil, salt, pepper, and herbs and roast 10 more minutes, then add cooked chicken, skin side up and cook 8 more minutes or until all vegetables are tender and slightly browned and the chicken is crisped.
- Remove chicken and vegetables from oven and arrange on a platter. Serve with the reduced liquid on the side. Enjoy!
March 5, 2017