Well it is nearing the end of the hectic holidays and I have not had much time to post recipes. My daughter and I made this over a week ago in the mountains, and it was very delicious and warming so I am posting it today as I finally have a few free minutes! The recipe is pretty much following the original except that I have reduced the amount of chicken and added a lot more vegetables.
Chicken and Vegetable Curry
Very good and fairly simple chicken and vegetable curry based on a recipe by Craig Claiborne in the New York Times Cooking.
- 2 large skinless, boneless chicken breasts cut in serving-sized pieces
- 1/3 cup shallots, finely chopped
- 3 teaspoons garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 5 tablespoons curry powder (NOTE: If using Indian-style curry powder you may want to reduce the quantity as it is generally stronger in flavor than Malaysian curry powder.)
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- vegetable oil
- 1/2 small sweet onion, sliced in large chunks
- 3 cardamom pods with husks
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 broken piece of star anise
- 1 2 inch piece of cinnamon stick
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup of light coconut milk
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced in bite-sized chunks
- 1/2 pound mixed baby potatoes sliced in half
- Cut the chicken and vegetables.
- Put the chopped shallots, half of the garlic, ginger, curry powder and 1/3 cup of water in a blender and blend thoroughly. Set the curry paste aside.
- Heat a little oil in a large and deep skillet or sauté pan. Add the sliced onions, remaining garlic, cardamom, cloves, star anise, cinnamon stick, salt and pepper. Sauté for a few minutes until shallots and garlic become soft. Add the reserved curry paste and cook for about one minute, stirring constantly. Add the coconut milk and 1/2 cup of water and stir.
- Bring the mixture to a vigorous boil and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces and stir until well coated. Cook for 5 minutes. Add the remaining 2/3 cup of water, cauliflower, carrots and potatoes. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, about 25 to 30 minutes or until the chicken and vegetables are cooked and tender.
- Serve over rice (I made a simple wild rice blend in the rice cooker). Enjoy!
December 30, 2016